535i AUTO TRANS UPDATE

>Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 16:59:34 -0500
>From: cwcullen@domain.elided
>Subject: 535i AUTO TRANS UPDATE
>
>About a week ago I sent the following :

  <Snip really common 4hp22 story>

>Since then I've received about 4 e-mails from digesters, and I'm affraid
>it looks serious.[I was hoping someone would write saying how exactly the
>same thing happened to them and all you have to do is ***** which takes
>15 minutes and it is all fixed. If anyone out there has a fix like that
>please tell me and I'll forever be gratefull. Baring that I am playing
>around with the idea of converting to 5 speed.[car is almost mint so it
>will be fixed]
>
>So I am again asking for advice from digesters:
>1 Is the auto trans really in need of major work ?  Any ideas on $s
>involved ?

Yes, you have destroyed the 'A' clutch pack.  By now the metal flakes and
grindings have worked their way through the whole gearbox.  Overhaul and 'A'
clutch modification is only proper fix.  AUS$1200 - $1500 on average.  I
think about the same in US$

>2 If car is converted to 5 sp Would it increase value? How much?

Probably not..

>3 Any ideas of $s and hours involved in conversion?

??? Ask Jason at Zionsville Autosport for a price on the parts.  As a DIY
job, allow a full weekend, especially if you don't have a hoist.

>4 Is there a write-up somewhere on what is involved in the conversion?
>What parts must be switched?

I did see a write-up recently.  Either on this digest or in alt.autos.bmw

>5 Any ideas where to get parts?

Ask Jason at Zionsville Autosport...

Brett Shortland
Perth, Western Orstraylia