535i AUTO TRANS UPDATE

About a week ago I sent the following :
"I've got a 1985 535i with an automatic transmission problem. any ideas
would be appreciated. It has the 4hp22 trans. [4 speed with lock-up],
[nonelectronic]. Ninety seven thousand easy miles.The symptoms are: Park,
Neutral, and REVERSEoperate normally. Drive,3,2,1 all act the same--like
there is very little connection between the engine and driveshaft. I was
able to limp home with it, but the power transfer on any of the forward
ranges is extremely small. No shifting appears to occur in any of the
forward ranges, and the engine can rev freely  in any of them. The car
had not been driven in the 6 months prior to the problem occuring. After
I drove it about 3 miles the problem developed, and it developed
instantly. The trans fluid level is ok, and the cable linkage from the
engine to trans. appears ok. Any diagnostic help would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Since then I've received about 4 e-mails from digesters, and I'm affraid
it looks serious.[I was hoping someone would write saying how exactly the
same thing happened to them and all you have to do is ***** which takes
15 minutes and it is all fixed. If anyone out there has a fix like that
please tell me and I'll forever be gratefull. Baring that I am playing
around with the idea of converting to 5 speed.[car is almost mint so it
will be fixed]

So I am again asking for advice from digesters:
1 Is the auto trans really in need of major work ?  Any ideas on $s
involved ?
2 If car is converted to 5 sp Would it increase value? How much?
3 Any ideas of $s and hours involved in conversion?
4 Is there a write-up somewhere on what is involved in the conversion?
What parts must be switched?
5 Any ideas where to get parts?

I don' t need the car on the road so am taking time collecting info.
before making decision and tearing in. Thanks for your attention and for
any advice.  Wes Cullen
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]