<Drive away protection>

>        BTW, is anybody know how to tell whether the car has the coded
>     driveaway protection system installed?  I think they came out sometime
>     in '95.  Someone from the dealer once told me to check the color of
>     the diode on the car key.  If its yellow light then it has the
>     security feature.  Is that true?

All the E36 M3's I've seen after 1/95 production have the yellow lighted
keys.  My key has a little white light (same place BMW put them for at least
10 years).  My E36 M3 does not have drive away protection--12/94 production.
The heads of the keys are not shaped the same.  The coded keys are more pear
shaped while the others (older style) are shaped like a "D":  Son, take my
car, here's the key:  ==D   I don't know about other models, except a 1600
and/or 02; their keys are shaped like a P without a light :)

Chirs Brennan
BMW CCA #19577
95 M3 68 1600

Giving thanks for all my blessings.