Auto Shift Modes

    John,
 I drive a '93 325isa with the same A/M switch. A- is for automatic.
M- is for manual. In manual mode the shifter is used to dictate gear.
Move the shifter to 2, the tranns  is in 2nd gear, even from a dead stop.
This is form of traction control, which is good for snow or ice.(dont ask
me if this works 'cause I live in S. Texas)
    Leaving from a stop in second or third is VERY hard on a auto but
it is designed to do it. Now it is fun to drive in manual mode providing
you "leave" in first and don't forget to down shift when cornering or
every time you stop.
 In "auto" mode and in "d" is for normal driving conditions.
In "auto" mode and in "3" (sport mode) the computer steps in
and the shift points are 1500-2000 rpms higher for a stronger
and more performance orientated shift.

- --Martin