RE: bmw-digest V9 #576/ Blue lights

		The reason we are switching to Blue lights instead of
staying with Red is two-fold. First and foremost blue is compatible with
Night Vision Goggles (NVG's) as they are away from the area where NVG's
operate (600-900 nanometers) while blue is at 470-480 nms. Red operates at
650 nms give or take a few nms.

		Second is that blue lighting puts less strain on your eyes
and the eye is most sensitive to blue-green light (meaning less is needed).
		The military still uses color (hues) for coding such as red
for danger, blue or green for normal operations. The auto industry does the
same thing, look at the instruments of your car, and most will show green
for OK and red for danger.

		The real issue here is what is luminated using either white
or blue light. If the two lights are of equal luminance, the blue light will
always look brighter to the human. This is brightness perception which uses
all the color channels, both chromatic and achromatic. Luminance is a
photometric measure which is measuring the number photons striking an object
per unit area. So to cut to the chase the same two lights, one which is
perceived as white while the other which is perceived as blue, with equal
luminance; the blue light will always be perceived as brighter. Brightness
is a human perceptual measure, luminance is photometric measure. The
lighting companies know this and do not use blue because most people are
used to white hues.

		So what is better to see with at night. Whatever you
perceive as brighter. For most of us with normal color vision, blue will be
better.

		If you want a good reference to this subject, try "Color In
Electronic Displays" edited by Helino Widdle and David Post. It explains
most of the above better than I can.
		Hope this helps tell you why one color (hue) may be better
for perception than another for driving your BMW at night.
		Brad Purvis
		BMW CCA Buckeye Chapter
		325I with JC chip and K&N filter