Buying 17" used tires

Hey guys,

I've noticed a lot of 17" second hand tires changing hands and I was
wondering what kind of problems you've run into getting them mounted.  I
talked to one shop owner and he told me he would never mount 17" tires he
didn't sell.  His reasoning was that there was to much risk breaking a rim
(and then replacing it) vs. the $15 he got per wheel for mounting a balancing.

Waddaya got.  I wouldn't mind buying second hand (heaven knows new ones
cost an arm and a leg) but they would do me no good if I couldn't get them
mounted.

Thanks

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5 (17" wheels waiting for shoes)
'72 tii (Hmmm.  Wonder if the M5 wheels would...naaah!)

End of bmw-digest V9 #585