re: Alarm Glass Sensor

Mike:
I'm not an expert on this, but I installed a factor 'remote entry/alarm'
on my wife's '93 325ia a couple of years ago. If my memory serves me
right, there is an adjustment on the inside of the unit(dip switches) to
set the sensitivity. We have since traded it on a 7 series and let all
the installation & adjusting documentation go with the car, so I can't
tell how to set it. We had a problem with the alarm going off for no
apparent reason. I noticed the lights flashing one day while we were in
a restaurant, with no one around the car. I remember the instructions
showed how to set these 'sensitivity dip switches'. BTW, setting the
sensitivity higher didn't help in our case. I finally figured out, that
as the car's interior got hot from sitting in the sun, it would cause
the plastic housing to warp from the heat and 'pop' against the inside
sensor, causing the alarm to go off. I ended up putting a small piece of
foam rubber between the case and the sensor and the problem went away.
Have you tried adjusting the dip switches? Sorry, but I don't remember
how to set them from min. to max. Maybe someone out there can add to
this.

Good luck

Richard Vaughn
BMW CCA #132931 Tarheel Chapter