re: Electric Drills/impact drivers

Marc,

The best tool I've found for what you want is an impact driver made by
Makita.  It's model 6940D, 9.6V and generates 22 ft-lbs of torque.  At
$250+ it's pretty pricey, but it sure is a nice piece of equipment.  I
couldn't find it available in any store and had to custom order it sight
unseen, but I was more than happy with what I got.

On the plus side it will run at full speed, 2,000 RPM under no-load, but
automatically and smoothly transitions to impact mode when resistance
builds.  It also is an offset, right angle driver with a very shallow head,
so you can get into pretty restricted spaces.  On the minus side it only
runs at 22 ft-lbs, and is not adjustable.  Not good for smaller nuts & bolts.

A long, long time ago there was discussion in the digest about 12V plug-in
units.  If I remember correctly, one was from JC Whitney and another from
Griott's or someplace like that.  They apparently generate more torque, but
have the profile of a pneumatic impact wrench (read deeper head) and then
there's the cord to deal with.  The plug in units are also a lot cheaper.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Denis, 24840

'95 M3, Euro HFM, JC, X-brace, Cool Willys, cryo rotors, K&N, etc., etc.,
never over 2,000 rpm
'97 Z3 2.8A  now there's a geezermobile!

End of bmw-digest V9 #582