Tire Trailer - Update

A couple of weeks ago I posted a long description of the tire trailer
I built to haul track tires and tools behind my E36 M3. I wrote that I
was going to build a new, larger tool box on the back. Scratch that. I
found the perfect sized locking plastic tool chest at Builders Square
last weekend while buying a new kitchen floor.

Recall that the trailer is 40 inches wide and the free area in the
back is roughly 24 inches deep (when standing behind the trailer
looking toward the tongue). The box I found is a Contico Pro Tuff Box
Model 3725 and goes for $50. It's intended to be a job site tool
storage box. No one could lift this pooch if it were full of tools! It
is 37" wide x 21" deep x 20" high. It's made of really tough plastic.
I stood on top of it and bounced a bit with no appreciable give (and
I'm 250#). It has a hinged top and lockable latch with additional
padlock loops molded in. It's smaller than my target size but has all
the room I really need to keep the dirty stuff out of the trunk.

I plan to mount the box flush with the left side of the trailer bed
and use the spare 3" on the right side to mount my trailer spare to
the end of the tool box. The spare is on the tongue now which makes
the trailer a bit tongue heavy.

The "cost is no object" best answer is still an aluminum truck body
mount tool box. These are available in many sizes and are far sturdier
and better looking. They also cost as much or more than the rest of
the trailer. The $50 plastic box seems right for me since this trailer
only makes about a dozen road trips a year (maybe more once I get that
kitchen floor installed).

...ned.
'98 M3 [BLACK M3]
BMW CCA 127659
my knees hurt already thinking about that floor project...