E39 M5 Brakes & GT2 Endurance Brakes

Dear Steve:
		The new M5E39 brakes are the same junk as the M3E36 `s. The only diference
is that they are bigger 345 mm and fade as soon as the M3 brakes since
the car is heavier. Let all the people talk and we will see how they
work on the track or with a fast driver. I have the  380 mm GT2 long
distance brake for that car. Or the bi-turbo brake with the 330 mm
GT-Cup discs. Both are by far better than the stock brake.
The rotors are bigger on the new M5 and everybody says "wow, huge brakes,
very good."
The discs are as bad as the 345 mm Alcon discs ( "compound discs ...... ).

Guido

I received the above reply from Movit in Europe as I was excited by early
press that BMW had finally come out with some decent brakes for the new M5.
 The stock E36 and M5 brakes are excellent for the US driving conditions
and for moderate track use (I wouldn't call them "junk").  However, on the
Autobahns in Germany, the brakes can be scary after a few hard stops from
200+ kph.  Guido spent this weekend with Geoff Jeal, the Lotus engineer
behind the ZR1 development, doing some high speed runs & brake testing
(customer's car had 670hp @ crank, 540hp at the rear wheels).  Geoff is
very enthusiastic about the large Porsche brakes and is bringing a 380mm
kit to John Lingenfelter (US Corvette tuner) for evaluation next week.
Geoff is already selling these kits (322, 330 and 380mm) to his customers
in Europe....customers that spend $25-40k on their engines do not need much
convincing to spend another $8-10k on some serious brakes to balance the
package.
		Movit and I would like to offer one of the GT2 Endurance kits (rotors are
380mm and calipers are 25% larger than stock 993 turbo) kits at cost  (one
kit only) to a new 5 or 7 series (E39/E38) BMW enthusiast, tuner or
dealership on this list.  Car must have 18" or larger wheels.  Please
contact me directly for details.  Steve

Steve D'Gerolamo - The Ultimate Garage
201-262-0412 / steved3@domain.elided / http://www.ultimategarage.com