<Misc> Vanos noises

When running in the NCC autocross last Sunday, my motor started making
'whining' noises in the stopbox at the end of the run. It also felt like the
engine was carrying an extra load. The sounds rose and fell with the motor's
revs, and they were about gone by the time I got back to my staging parking
space (~minute).  A bystander/mechanic (Bill Brochu for locals) mentioned
that it sounded like Vanos noise.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to talk to
him after that since I had to get back to the office while he was running
third heat.

Seemed almost like my vanos was sticking engaged after revving in the
autocross runs. Could anyone comment on vanos noises?  Are they indicative
of something serious? Expensive?

Thanks,

Marc Plante
E36 325i, 112k