bmw-digest V9 #573

Al -

Did the frequency of your tapping change with engine RPM?  About 50% of
RPM?  Did it start about 10 seconds after engine start-up?  Did it stop
sometimes after about a minute, sometimes longer?  Did it sometimes not
happen at all?  If so, you may have identified a problem that I've had wi=
th
my M50TU from new to now (51K miles).

Brant

<From: "Legerlotz, Alan" <alegerlotz@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: Valve Tapping on Startup

 The tapping sound was only during warm up
and the weather had gotten cool (in the 30's in the morning).  The tappin=
WAS a valve, it just wasn't my engine valves...It was an emissions valve
bleeding off air- -Al>