Wheel bolts, more...

What's the difference between a wheel 4x1.5-4x100 and a wheel with a
4x4.5-4x100?  Will either wheel work on my 1990 325i?  What's the
difference, rather what physical difference is represented by the 1.5
vs. the 4.5?  Is that offset, a difference in distance between lugs,
width of lug holes, or is it something else?  It seems I just can't find
a 16 or 17 wheel that I really like the looks of enough to justify more
than $1000 for tires and rims that fits my car (according to tirerack or
discount tires direct).

If there is a compatibility issue as in the wheel won't fit, is there
any way to change my hubs to make it fit?  Anything...I need(relative
term)  new tires, on bigger rims but I don't like most of the very few
offerings companies have for my old car...

Please help!

Dan