02 Overheating-need suggestions!

Hi,

I have a 1974 2002 that has recently developed an overheating problem.  I
have only had this car for about 2 months, and until a couple of weeks ago,
it ran fine, with no problems.  Then, the tempurature gauge suddenly
started reading hot (almost to the red), but only sometimes.  Now, when I
run the car, the tempurature guage always reads to hot, running up and into
the red (if I don't shut off the car first).  I have already replaced the
thermostat, but that did nothing to alleviate the problem.  I really need
some suggestions as to how to diagnose the culprit, so I don't replace any
more unecessary parts.

Any help or suggestions would truly be appreciated.

TIA,
Ken Pitzner
'74 2002
'92 318i