BL/SS/ERK Hath Arrived -- Follow-up (Longish)

Okay, as I had posted earier, I was going to install my BL/SS/ERK kit on
my 96 328is this weekend.  Well, after burning the midnight oil for
about 4 hours, it's done, and well worth the pains I had to go through
to put it in.

Anyways, so here are some problems I encountered.  That may help future
BL/SS/ERK home installers...

First off, I had the car up on jackstands, but I didn't have the pins,
so I had them at the lowest setting (tripod jackstands).  This proved
painful because just having enough clearance to slide/wiggle under the
car gives you very little room to maneuver and usage of your hands are
greatly reduced.  I had to contort my arms into all sorts of "condusive
to cramping" positions.  So my advice would be to get it up and stable,
perhaps some ramps (supplemented with jackstands) or hell, even a lift.

Now after taking off all the interior shift lever stuff, I proceeded to
slide/wiggle myself under the car (another tip, cold dirty concrete is
not your friend.)  And thorougly greased myself up from all the crap
under the car.  Anyways, when I finally got to the middle, I noticed
that although there is room to get to the carrier, there's the huge
driveshaft sitting right smack in the middle.  So those of you with
large hands, like myself, it's gonna be a b*tch to get in there and get
the job done.  After some contorting and wiggling, I got out the
shifter/nylon cup.  The UUC remover tool is definately key here.  (tip,
make sure the handle is firmly secure before getting under there, mine
came off and I had to stop, slide out, re-attach, and slide back under.)
(regarding the clip. try and get it out with some controlled force, I
managed to launch it into limbo...)

As for the quick, and easy ERK install method, I couldn't get the
carrier detached from the trans housing.  Without elfish sized hands,
I'm not sure how this would be done, I must have spent almost an hour
locating and trying to get/pry it off.  Luckily there are other sets of
directions for the "harder" method.  I opted for that one.

So after giving up on the "easy" method, I found that installing the
screws for the ERK were easier from the bottom rather than the top.
Once the screws were started, I tried to use the allen key (included)
and found this to be near impossible.  So I slid out and busted out the
dremmel.  I cut off about half of the short side of the allen key.  This
helped out immensely.  So after getting all 4 screws semi tight, I hoped
the loc-tite would do the rest.

Now I lubed up the new lever ball and slapped on the nylon cup.  (to
remove the old cup, once off the ball, the cup has a rectangular notched
section for the bottom of the lever.  You DON"T have to force it out.)
I reassembled the rig and then had to go back under.

Putting the clip thing back on was a pain in the arse.  Since there is
litte room to play/apply force, I proceeded to use my knuckle to get it
on (which inevitably lead to a small gash on my finger).  Well with a
lot of pressure and some help from the gods, I finally got it on (I
think!?)  (I'd recommend getting/borrowing a pair of clip pliers as
shown in the manual)

So, looking back, if I knew what I knew now, I could have done it in
about an hour or so vs. the 4 hours it took because I had to keep
"trying" different/ impossible for me things.

Regardless of my little problems, it is definately well worth it.  Now
shifting is substantially shorter than stock and I enjoy the uniform
notchy feel.  It's like Click, Click, Click, Click, Click now whereas it
was like Shlosh Click, Shlock click, Shlock grumble-click, shlock click,
long-arse shlock click before.

I find that the shorter throws also help me drive smoother/faster.
Since I can shift faster, the RPMs don't get to drop off as fast between
gears therefore IMHO smoother shift/acceleration, and a more powerful
feel (staying in the power band for just a little longer then droppin
out of it)

Welp, that's my take on it.  Just wanted to say thanks again to Ben and
his UUC guys who made this possible. Thank you for your support.

Oh, if you're wondering about my tech level.  I'm just the average joe.
I was doing my own oil changes, brakes, plugs, wires, rotor/cap,
radiator flush, shocks, kinda stuff back when I had my 86 325.  (I'm
still under warranty so I let the shop boys play with my new baby, for
now...)  So I don't think my 4 hours is due to lack of tech ability, I
just need smaller hands when doing some of this stuff...

- --Mike "Big Hands"
  96 328is BL/SS/ERK
  BMWCCA NJ