Re: Swirl marks

I have been following the discussion re: swirl marks, and realized
that I have never had them, except on a 1967 Chevy (my first new car)
when I waxed somewhat oxidized paint in the sun.  These came out
quite nicely with rubbing compound (I was young and foolish).  The
physical chemistry of that problem is a no brainer.  BUT, todays
swirl marks must come from something more subtile that sun baked-on
wax.

So what exactly is a modern swirl mark,  what is their "scientific"
cause,  and how can we best prevent them in the first place? To put
the old saying in metric, "30 grams of prevention is worth .41 kg of
good."

Jerry Cohen
BMW CCA
1998 328 is (without swirk marks and I want to keep it that way)