WOB - SUV merits

Consider that BMW is gonna deliver one.  It may be called an SAV, SUV or
SUX, but it is the same darn thing.  Now, we going to ban owners of these 4
wheelers from the digest?  No?

Bravado about how BMWs drive better in weather is fun to say, but when the
road disappears, mine stays at home.  Heck, I can't get it up the steep hill
I live on!  I have many, many years of driving experience in the midwest and
out here in the mountains (as a volunteer for a ski resort) during the
crappiest driving conditions and agree that many drivers of 4x4s get into
trouble because of overconfidence.

However, power at all four corners cannot be beaten by a rear wheel drive
vehicle with equivalent driver skills.  Period.

Further, try and imagine the "soccer moms" who seem to be the primary owners
of SUVs as getting them given to to them by husbands who want steel and
elevation to protect their wifes.  Under utilization of the machines?  Sure.

Cheers,

Jan Nelson
82 745i
83 745i
73 F150 4X4 (offroad only)
97 Suburban 4X4 gotta ski! Crystal's Open!
28' Landingcraft