Winter Car Survey (or: 4WD follies!)

I think that the biggest problem is the general public's lack of
understanding of vehicle dynamics.  Four-wheel drive (or AWD) is seen
as a way to stay out of trouble on slick roads.  Even with all four
wheels driven, the laws of physics must be obeyed!  (I've been wanting
to say that for a while :-)

Four-wheel drivers think that they can do stupid things because their
drivetrain will somehow save them.  This goes for not only SUV
drivers, but Subaru and Audi owners as well.

BMWs (IMHO) are better than the alternative in the snow for a couple
of reasons.  There's the lower center of gravity, etc. etc. that's
already been mentioned.  Then there's the advantages of RWD.  Yes,
advantages!  You see, when a car's wheels lock up, so does the
drivetrain.  That extra mass takes some time to get moving again
(inertia and all that).  Now, maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have
the wheels that steer regain traction as soon as possible!

Just pretend that you're doing a low-speed driving event, and you'll
be fine in the worst of weather.

Happy driving!

   KC Boyce
   '85 325e