Porsche PDK

The Porsche PDK (I don't have the German equivalent nearby, but it translates
as Porsche Double-Clutch) was a system used on many race cars, from which
Porsche spawned Tiptronic. However, the PDK was a true manual, using two
clutches and had the ability to preselect gears i.e.-screaming down the
straight in 4th, but you're gonna want 2nd for the upcoming esses... tap the
downshift lever twice, and the computer will "remember" those shifts until the
correct vehicle and engine speed are achieved, sort of set-and -forget.( I
apologize for writing this response without all the details, but If anybody
wants more info, I can probably dredge it up from an old copy of Excellence)
I'm sure that 959 prototypes ran this tranny, although it was passed on for
the Paris-Dakar Rally. I don't believe any production models were sold that
way, and the tranny (which was incredibly successful in racing) never made it
to production because the people most likely to buy an automatic Porsche are
those lacking the necessary manual skills for optimal and SAFE operation. Go
figure!

Matt
92 325is Sharked