<E28> Flaky Diff

RUST Flakes that is!

I was poking around underneath my '86 535i last night putting together a
parts list for some front and rear suspension repairs and I was shocked
to discover a significant amount of rust on the forward part of the
differential housing.  And I don't mean surface rust.  I was able to
flake off hunks of rusted metal with a small screw driver!  This is not
a NE car and there is no other rust anywhere.  What gives?

Is this a known issue with these diffs and how concerned should I be?
>From the looks of it, I think I need to start shopping for a replacement
today.

- --Jeff Pharr