Re: <E-30> Temp. running at 3/4 is this normal? & GO FALCONS!!!

>Was wondering if running at 3/4 was normal for an 86 325 ES?  Engine seems
>real hot and performance seems to have dwindled.....

No, it's not. It should stay in the middle. This indicates that your
cooling-system isn't working properly, which can be caused by several
things. Check out these first:
- - Is your coolant-fluid level normal? If not: adjust.
- - Do you have to add Coolant-fluid often? This indicates a leak somewhere,
because it shouldn't.
- - Does your radiateur (or how is it called?) look good (no green, brown
spots, or even holes in it?) If so: not enough capacity. You'll have to
replace it.
- - Is your fan working properly (try stopping it with a folded newspaper, Be
careful!) If you can stop it, it should be replaced.
- - Are there air-bubbles in your coolant-system? (try running your engine
hot, then turn the engine off and gently take off the cap of you
coolant-expansionvassel, when it starts boiling tighten up the cap a bit,
when you are too late, or removed the cap completely, start your engine and
it will stop. DON'T TRY TO PLACE THE CAP BACK ON WHEN COOLANT-FLUID IS
SPILLING OVER!
These can be caused by several things. If this is the case let me know and
i'll describe this further.
- - Check all the coolant related tubes by squeezing them. Are they hard or
soft? (Check with engine running and at operating temp.) When soft: there's
probably a air-bubble somewhere. Let the air out. Keep on squeezing the
tubes while doing this.
- - No leaking tubes? Check this with engine off and cold, by squeezing the
tubes) If so: replace.
- - Check your thermoswitch (the thing in the house on which you let off the
air in your coolant-system) Take it off and try moving the spring. Very
often this one is stuck. You can also check it's working by placing the
switch in hot water and look wheter it's opening. When it's not working
properly: try cleaning it, but pref. replace it.

Good luck!
Greetinx,
MaZe ( thezeeuw@domain.elided )
'86 320i 267kKm