re: E30 M3 vs 944 S2 track car

When I bought my 944 turbo back in '92 I was also considering a E30 M3.  I
had no intentions of track activities then, but 3 years ago started PCA
drivers ed events.  The M3's I drove at the time seemed to be worn for some
reason, sloppy steering and shifter (but did perform well).  Whereas the
944 turbo's I drove were solid, tight, and had greater acceleration.  And
the 944 turbo's were selling for $5-7k less at the time.  So I chose the
Porsche.  The S2 carried over many of the turbo's parts, in particular the
Brembo brakes.  Since running track events I have found the 944 to have
stable handling, fun to drive, and easy to maintain (well, the simple
things anyway...).  I'm sure the same could be said of the E30M3.  I like
both bimmers and Porsches, but if a similar price differential exists I'd
go for the S2.
I don't know if any of this is sound reasoning, but thought I'd offer my
opinion.

Mark
'96 328i sport
'86 944t