<All> re: Sequential Transmission

Ben keyes <bkeyes1@domain.elided> wrote:
[...]
>Early 70's 911 (or was it 912's) had a system that shifted
>a somewhat normal auto trans when you _touched_ the shifter.
>Was apparently quite weird and not all that successful.
>Saab may have also had a system like that can't recall.

Oh yeah! The old "Sportomatic" shifter...

I was surprised to notice (after digging deep into Porsche 914 lore) that
it was actually listed as on option on the 1970-72 914 as well as the 911E
and 911T ('68-'73) and the 911S ('68,'72-'73).  It never really appeared on
any "production" 914s, although Porsche admits to building a total of five
914-6s with the Sportomatic, two of which are currently known to exist.

(I know, I know!  Useless trivia...  But with all that crammed into my head
I had to tell _somebody_!!!)

Anyway:  it had a pneumatically actuated clutch triggered by microswitches,
and was apparently an expensive maintenance item.  Hemmings has a
Sportomatic 911 show up every now and again, and every time I see a listing
I wonder what they're like to drive.  If I understand the system correctly,
it was a lot closer to a "sequential" transmission than a traditional
automatic; I think it actually had a clutch.

Obligatory BMW-content:  I used to love my 914 until I bought my bimmer!

- -Knute