Re: : Is it an indicator ! BA

>Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:37:54 +0200
>From: Andrew Singer <asinger@domain.elided>
>Subject: Is it an indicator !
>
>This is something I've been meaning to ask for a while, just for the
>hell of it.
>Maybe someone knows?
>On the speedometer of my '95 328i just below the 260 km/h indication
>seems to be a small
>clear circle. Maybe an indicator lamp. Anybody know?
>
>Just curious
>
>Andrew
>'95 328i ( in for service today )

The item you see is a photosensitive cell that tells the OBC and radio
whether or not they should dim their displays when you turn on the
headlights.

It used to be that if you ran your headlights during the day, they
displays would dim and you couldn't see them properly.  The fix was to
check ambient light before making the decision.  The cell was initially
installed in the radio itself, now it is in the cluster.

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta

Please include all correspondence when replying
to avoid confusion - Thank you