more on SMG

calvin et al,

<<Regarding the SMG Rob Writes:

Similar transmissions are available from Porsche (Triptronic?) and
sadly Lexus (GS 400).>>

then calvin says:

<<I am no expert in this area, so sombody correct me if I'm wrong, but I
>think there is a major difference between the BMW SMG and the Porsche
>and Lexus systems.  This is... the SMG is a computer shifted "manual"
>transmission (like in F1) where the Porsche/Lexus offerings are actually
>"automatic" transmissions that can be sequentially shifted manually.
>What's the difference?  Only the BMW system has no torque converter to
>sap power.  It is a direct-connect clutch that is released and engaged
>by computer.  Hence, the SMG is as fast or faster than the standard
>manual tranny while the Porsche tiptronic is significantly slower than
>its manual counterpart.
>
>Make not sound like a big difference, but performance wise, it's HUGH!
>
>Confirmations anyone?
>
>Calvin Hare
>'96 M3>>

from my understanding this is correct.  i read about the porche and bmw
trannies but not the lexus.  i know for a fact (well, at least as factual as
the articles) that the bmw is a manual trans w/comptuer controlled clutch.
you are correct in saying that it does not have a torque converter.  one of
the downsides (yeah right - who cares!) of this is that the shifts are kinda
harsh unlike the smooth shift in an autobox, which is exactly what the
porche is.  i have driven the porche (911/2) and it is just like an auto
which you shift yourself.  it was kinda neat but nothing special.  even
chrysler has a "tiptronic" style trans so they are really no big deal.  i
guess its kinda cool but its still an auto and if you want a manual, get a
manual.  if anyone wants additional info on my test drive of the tiptronic
porche let me know and i can give more details.  btw, this was when this
thing first came out.  i think the likelihood of lexus developing a SMG is
about the same as me driving #10 M3 next year in GT2!  have a good day!

regards,

jack money
motor city chapter
'89iX