Re: bmw-digest V9 #544

>Factoid:  Roll-overs on Colorado interstates in winter are >80% SUVs/trucks,
>but represent only 40% of the cars on the road.
>=================================
>I think this is quite misleading.  I do not believe for one minute that my
'93 325is with whatever winter tires

I do agree with the fact that a BMW is probably less capable in the snow
but I also think that most BMW drivers know this and therefore take it a
little slower. The SUV crowd seems to think that their Almightily 4x4's and
invincible. I think this is the primary reason why there are so many in the
ditch when the weathers gets really bad. It is simply driver over confidence.
Roll overs on SUV's are also very high because of their high center of
gravity. In emergency maneuvers a SUV can take one quick turn but when the
driver tries to correct by making a sharp turn in the other direction it
becomes unbalance (track school???) and flips.

I think winter driving is more a responsibility of the driver and not the car.

Dave '87 325 -> ready for the snow!