Re:Engine Swappin' in an E36

>Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 18:23:17 -0800
>From: Roger Baker <rbaker@domain.elided>
>Subject: Engine Swappin' in an E36
>
>In my never ending quest for more power I am considering upgrading my
>M-package E-36 325 with the V8 from a 540 donor car. I know I have
>witnessed tuner cars with either BMW V8's or V12's transplanted into the
>E36 platform with supposedly little trouble. I would like to see/hear
>some more about them, but I can't seem to find any of these creations in
>my old magazines. Has anyone out there either done a similar transplant
>or know of the magazines with such vehicles featured???
>
>Roger Baker
>rbaker@domain.elided
>Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA

I never heard of putting a V12 into a E36, but Alpina has the
model "B8" which is a E36 with the 4.4l V8 in it, of course
tuned to 333hp. They had to do a lot of bodywork to fit it in.
The most expensive part was the oil pan which they had to
design completely new since the V8 is higher than the I6.
The car has great power and torque, but suffers from the
higher weight and the changed balance (something like 60%
weight on the front axle). Handling was worse than of a
regular 325 or M3. All this was stated in two different
articles in german magazines, one is the auto,motor&sport.
I can look for the article, if someone is interested.

Peter Zangl
p-zangl@domain.elided

'95 328i