Relpy - <WOB> Winter car survey

Keith write:
OK, an utter WOB, but:  for winter driving, you're much better off driving
your BMW with four good snows than the typical 4WD/SUV/truck.  Why?   The
inherently better handling of your car, combined with a lower roll center
and especially the lighter weight, will allow much better snowy condition
performance.

Factoid:  Roll-overs on Colorado interstates in winter are >80% SUVs/trucks,
but represent only 40% of the cars on the road.
=================================
I think this is quite misleading.  I do not believe for one minute that my '93 325is with whatever winter tires
you want to put on it is better in snow/ice conditions than my father's '95 Ford F150 4WD.  Main reason?
The low-range transfer case and an incredibly torquey engine (4.9L inline 6) in the F150 combine to give
much better control in low-traction circumstances.  I love my Bimmer, but when it's time to head up to the
cabin in the winter - I'm always looking for a ride (which is constantly pointed out).

Maybe so may roll-overs occur with the SUV's because they're the vehicles on the road in these
conditions?  I agree that on ice, once you start to skid you're toast with or without 4WD, but with it, you can
let the engine and tranny do your speed control, and limit the amount of braking (which typically causes
the spins).  Different tools for different jobs.

Just my opinion.

- - Jason