Re: Rear Map Lights BA

>Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 22:04:14 -0500
>From: Chris Graff <GraffF1@domain.elided>

>Subject: Rear Map Lights  (Headrests coming soon)  (longish)
>How to replace your rear C-pillar interior lights with new units that
>include both map and regular interior lights and the wiring that goes
>with it:
>

>4) Tear apart the interior of the car! No I'm serious, I found that if
>you connect the new rear map lights in a parallel circuit with the
FRONT
>interior lights, you end up with the surest and most secure way to
>independently operate the two new rear map lights! The diagram looks
>something like this:  (X=bulb, \=switch) (also note this is overly
>simplified!

>So, all you need to do is add two more wires and X's and \'s as
>assemblies in parallel (it's already like that anyway) and you should
>have no problem with overloads, voltage differences, etc.)
>
>The only problem is that you have to take apart the roof to have the
>wires connect from the front light assembly to the rear light assembly.
>
>:)Regards
>- -Chris Graff
>
>Middletown, New Jersey

Why go to so much trouble ?

Use the existing wiring for the main interior lights.
For the switchable map lights, tie a ground lead to one of the screws
securing the antenna amplifier. Tie the power wire into the red/white
wire that runs back into the trunk to power the trunk light. This wire
runs through with the harness on the left side of the rear seat.  On the
right side, you can either run a wire across behind/below the seat, or
find another hot wire on that side of the car.  An added benefit of
using the trunk light wiring as opposed to finding any other (non light)
hot wire, is that the reading lights can be used with the ignition off,
but if accidentally left on, will be shut off automatically by the
vehicle's electrical system.

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta

Please include all correspondence when replying
to avoid confusion - Thank you

End of bmw-digest V9 #538