Rear bearings. Special tools?

One, maybe both, of my rear bearings are making a roaring sound.  The =
sound does not go away on right or left turns so it is probably not the =
fronts.  The car has 140k on it.  I'm going to do the brakes so I thought =
I might do the bearings too.

Bentley suggests the use of special tools.  Where can I get these?  Can I =
use any other non-BMW-specific tools? How much should I expect to pay for =
the rear bearings?  Is there a way to check which ones are bad or whether =
the noise is coming from elsewhere?  How long are they going to last in =
this noisy manner?  The car sees about 500 miles a week and I would like =
for it to be fairly reliable in this regard.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Neil Deshpande
88 325 is