Re: <E30> oil change

     Jack,
        You should find that the oil change on your iX is not too much of a
     PITA.  I always take my time loosening the oil filter so that I can
     control the stream of oil running from it.  Some always manages to
     find its way to the exhaust pipe, but not too much.  Having your car
     up on jack stands so that you will have plenty of operating room will
     help  (especially for fat guys like me...).

        As for as parts, all you need besides the oil and filter is the
     washer/gasket for the oil pan drain plug.  Most dealers include these
     with the filters.

        The only other advice that I can give you is to make sure that you
     reinstall the drain plug before pouring the new oil into the engine.
     Yeah, I know that's obvious, but one time I did find myself standing
     in 5 quarts of Castrol's finest...  Not one of my proudest moments!

     Good Luck,
        Bobby Crumpley
        BMWCCA
        '87 325iS BL/SSed
        '31 Ford Deluxe Tudor

everyone,

     i will be changing the oil for the first time (since i owned it) in my
     '89iX w/116k.  are there any special things i need to look out for?  i
     mean i have a new filter (OEM) and, of course, the oil.