<E30> oil change

everyone,

sorry to bother you all with this paltry question, but if i need parts it is
much more convenient to stop on my way home from work, so here goes... i
will be changing the oil for the first time (since i owned it) in my '89iX
w/116k.  are there any special things i need to look out for?  i mean i have
a new filter (OEM) and, of course, the oil.  i thought i remembered reading
something about a seal ring that needs to be replaced also, maybe on the
filter?  any help is much appreciated.  btw, is this going to be a PITA?  i
see that the filter is mounted horizontally which = spillage.  TIA.  also, a
big thanks to all who repsonded to my other posts, particularly "mechanic in
the detroit area."

regards,

jack money
'89 iX