Re: Anybody else experienced parking lot troubles...

Even though my previous car was not a BMW, I put a lot of time into taking
care of it...and inevitably got people parking an inch away from me. If you
take care of your car, it doesn't seem to matter what you have, it acts as
a beater magnet. However, I've been mostly very lucky with my
year-and-a-half old E36. Only some insignificant marks on the side, and I
really think they are just stone chips from highway miles (no dings).

However--I don't know where it happened--but I happened to walk by my car a
few months ago, and a gleam caught my eye as I walked by the hood. I looked
down and someone, somewhere, had taken some very sharp object, pressed down
real hard, and "keyed" the car for about an inch down to the bare metal
(which is what I saw winking at me). Talk about malicious behavior. I was
really upset. And what upset me even more was some of my friends'
reactions--actually intimating, "what do you expect?" and "you're asking
for it with a car like that". Just no sympathy. My car is garaged at home,
so it definitely happened in a parking lot.

I very much advocate choosing your parking spots carefully, but as some
other contributors have said, I'm not sure about going a mile out and
isolating yourself. I actually think it draws *more* attention to you if
some joker has mischief in mind. It is a double-edged sword, unfortunately.

Miki H.
1997 328is