(E30) Replacing the shifter shaft seal

Hi all

I have some quick E30 questions ('89 325i)

1.  I need to replace a leaking shifter shaft seal on my trans.  Anyone done
this and have any good tips?  Since it requires removing the driveshaft and
provides access to the rear trans seal, would it be a good idea to replace it
also?

2.  Oil pan gasket is also leaking.  Can it be replaced without raising the
engine or dropping the subframe?

Thanks in advance.

BTW.  On parking, I usually back in to my space half the time to even up the
door dings!  Actually, someone commented on backing in - I find that the car
can more easily be centered in the space because the front of the car (the
part that moves most when you turn the wheel) has more freedom to be moved as
you enter the space.

Gregg