Re: M5 A.M. shifting

At 02:26 PM 11/16/98 -0500, Steve wrote:
>One of the woemen here at work has an '88 M5 - 5 speed.  Odometer
>reading about 30K miles but it's not a garage queen.  She came into my
>office this morning asking if I could explain why her clutch and
>transmission was acting 'funny'. Her description is that the clutch
>engagement is very low first thing in the morning, then after everything
>warms up, the engagement point moves back up to the normal mid travel
>point.  She also says the shifting is very hard and stiff.

I've been told the old 'they all do that' since I've had the car (about 3
years.)  My guess is the hydraulic fluid is cold too.  It should go away
after a few miles (mine does) and it only happens when it's really "cool"
(:^)) outside.  I'm down in Monterey so I get about the same AM temp as
you.  It's happened to me since the first cold day.  Made me go out and buy
a new clutch, PP , TO and pilot bearing and the parts are still sitting in
my garage.

FWIW I used to get this same phenomena in my 320iS and my Jeep Wrangler.

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5
'72 tii