Re: M3 Oil Starvation

>From: "Tim Gergen" <m3gizmo@domain.elided>
>Subject: Oil Starvation

>We all know the the E 36 (M3 in particular) has an oil starvtion/lifter
>tick problem.  Could this be remidied by instaling a high
>volume/pressure oil pump???  Or is the problem related to "not enough
>oil in the pan"??

Tim,

When this issue first came up I called around to all the tech gru's lke TC
Kline, Will Turner, and PTG.  My idea was to buy an Accusump aftermarket
oil pressure accessory that Racer's Wholesale sells for a couple hundred
bucks and install that. All the above told my it would not work and don't
waste the money. (Now I'm gonna get at least half a dozen e-mails asking me
WHY it won't work and I'll tell you right now the reason....I FORGOT
exactly why they said it won't work  but you can call them yourself if you
really gotta know).

The LTW Oilpan Kit from BMW does come with a completely new "GT Oil Pump"
as BMW calls it, so its more than just a baffled pan.  The problem is the
oil pools to the right of the pan on hard  right hand turns and the system
cannot pick it up.  Remember now that we are talking about 1/2 half of one
percent of E36 M50 engine owners who drive the cars hard enough for this
condiiton to occur.  99.5% of E36 325/M3 owners will never experience the
problem.

Why try to engineer a kluge when the fix is already done for you in kit
form, gang? The Motorsport engineers knew this was a problem for track cars
and they spent a considerable amount of effort to give ya'll the right fix.
 C'mon...lay out the Visa card and go for it.

<tick, tick, tick> like a time bomb. <g>

Duane Collie