ERAM answers to recent questions.

Message text written by INTERNET:bmw@domain.elided
>In simplistic terms, why can't you think of this device as an "active"
free-flow intake?  Doesn't a free-flowing intake system allow the engine =
make more power without adding "power" at the beginning (one of the
discussion point was how you can get XX more horsepower by adding YY watt=
s.
Isn't a free-flow intake getting XX additional hp out by adding 0 watts?)=

some gains . =

Ive increased my diameters of runners, TB and got 15% HP gain on the dyno=
.
The fan will increase the amout of air the the engine has available to it=
. =

As said =

before it uses 400 watts of electrical energy and produces 3-4% gains in
HP.  =

the great thing about the fan as it works on top of the mods that you do.=

The reason that it is so hard to improve the restriction of the intake
system., =

The K/N filter alone , as good as it is over a paper filter, is a huge
restrictor.
the fan relieves this vacuum in the air box  and slightly pressurizes.
thats it.  =

 =

So, instead of redesigning the intake to rid it of constrictions, can't y=
ou
add flow by an active fan?  If properly designed I could probably fall fo=
this line of argument. It seems like it would be theoretically less
efficient than a proper redesign, but could be cheaper to implement. =

people are trying to get cool air tube and cone fiters in hope of ram,
remember, ram only happens at very high speed , if at all.  As a funnel
type
ram receives the air , it speeds UP, and the pressure lowers.   Think abo=
ut
that
one for a minute.  So for an Indy car with  high speed air comming into t=
he
ram,
it only takes (needs) the air at a fixed speed at the highest of engine
speeds, any excess
can be converted into positive pressure by a reverse ram, that slows the
excessive speed
of the air down, and creates increassed pressure, hense grabbing more den=
se
air for almost , free!!!

In our cars, our speed is always  less than 100 mph, even at the track, s=
ram can actually work agains you =

as you need the speed of air to reduce the losses in the intake system, b=
ut
you have to keep the pressure =

up to keep the air dense, also , you want to get cooler than engine air
into the motor.

The ERAM does this for 30 amps , of electrical energy, ( like an external=

cooling radiator fan, or your headlights)
and gains 3-4% on the dyno on a congested Honda, or a fire breathing
porsche V8)

This would also explain why you can get gains from a cheap Honda (lowest
common denominator) easier than an M-car (excellent design).  The proper
test of this theory would be on the BMW with the most constricted intake
(you experts out there tell me what it is, I have no clue), not on an M5 =
or
M3 that is more closely optimal.  That way the gains should be
proportionally higher/more easily measured.<
porsche V8 and got the same =

3-4% that we got on the 88 hp Honda.  It makes sense if you understand wh=
at
is happening  with the air in the intake =

system, and the measure of all of the restricitons involved.   the 911, a=
nd
the M3 are next for the dyno.

Mark
ERAM