<E28> valve adjustment

>Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 10:00:33 EST
>From: Atkin11J@domain.elided
>Subject: E28 valve adjustment
>
>I am getting ready to perform a first on the 5. Previously I have had Nikolas
>Motorsport do my valve adjustments, but I want to learn to do it myself. Just
>wanted to pick brains as far as special tools to make the job easier, any
>extra replacement parts to have on hand, any horror stories. Am planning on
>new plugs and an adjuestment next weekend, any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Derek Atkin
>85 535i 163 k

Hi, Derek!

Good questions!  Now, on to my experiences:

Special tools:  Yup.  Have a plug thread chaser on hand.  Any Schuck's,
etc. will have them.  Invaluable in cleaning goop out of the threads.
And I'm sure you were already going to use anti-seize on the plug
threads, weren't you?  ;~)  Don't bother with any of the adjustment
tools for the eccentric - you undoubtedly have the right size allen in
your tool box already.

Extra Pointers:  Have a new valve cover gasket on hand - cheap, and
likely not very new on yours.  Also, check all the rubber bits on
hand - valve cover breather hose, vacuum lines, the hose from the
constant idle valve to the intake manifold.  All are likely vacuum
leaks, so check for hardness or cracks.

Another point:  the eccentrics can wear, and the symptom is that a
tiny rotation of the eccentric wildly changes the measured gap.
Easy to change, have a couple on hand.

Last point:  the 12mm head 'banjo bolts' loosen themselves easily.
Torque them to whatever Bentley says (not close at hand just now,
but probably in the 10 ft-lb range - _not_ a major grunt!).  If
one was loose, look very closely at the cam lobes - poor lubrication
will wear them quickly.  Also check all of the rubbing blocks on
the rocker arms - they occasionally wear or break.

Have fun!  Larry F.

Larry Franks
Issaquah, Washington
'86 535i x 2