Re: Tapping

Brian -

One source of continuing tapping is foamed oil.  The foaming is caused by=

the same performance driving that can unport the oil pump pickup.  Oil
manufacturers include anit-foaming agent in the oils (a surfactant, I
believe, that assists air bubble breakage), but it does not completely
prevent the problem.  The air component of the foam is compressable and
does so in the lifters, with tapping the result.

Brant

>From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@domain.elided>
Subject: Tap-tap-tapping

Okay, we all know the M3 (and a few other Bimmers) have this problem
of oil starvation in high-g turns that cause the valves to start tapping.=
 =

What I don't understand is why they keep tapping for many minutes after
the car has stopped high-g cornering.  Brian
<