<E-36> Power steering problem

WOW, I haven't used the page down button this much EVER!!!  I think my
page down finger is getting arthritis!  Anyway, I have a BMW maintenance
question that got lost within the vortex of ERAM.  Hopefully we can get
back to the business of sharing knowledge in our common interest in BMWs.

The car's problem:  There are black particulates suspended in my power
steering fluid.

My problem:  I have gotten conflicting information about how to deal with
this.

My dealer service rep says to suck out the PS fluid and replace with new
fluid a couple of times to replace most of the fluid in the system.  They
say that there is no filter in the PS fluid reservoir in an E-36  325is.

Other sources have said that there IS a filter in the PS reservoir and
that I should replace the reservoir with filter inside and the PS fluid.

Who is right?

The dealer says that it is not unusual to have particulates suspended in
the fluid and that the pump and rack are not breaking down.  Is this true?

Thanks,

Steve Cooperman
1994  325is, sport pkg, M3 muffler, Jim C, BL/SS, ERK, X-Brace
Tucson, Arizona
Sonora Chapter