E28 exhaust recommendation...

Hi Serg,

Regarding your E28 exhaust question:

- ------------------------------

> Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 08:44:12 -0800
> From: Serg Palanov <serg@domain.elided>
> Subject: WANTED: E28 Performance Exhaust
>
> I am looking to buy a used performance exhaust for my '88 535is. Must be
> in excellent shape. Will also consider a clean used high flow intake
> setup. Please let me know if you might have one for sale, or if you can
> recommend a new exnhaust. So far I am leaning towards the B&B TriFlo.

- ------------------------------

I bought a Stebro cat-back stainless system for my E28 533i and I
really like it. It's remarkably well made and thoughtfully engineered.
It looks good, sounds good (you have to get the optional tip silencers)
and gets nothing but compliments from fellow BMW enthusiasts.

More on the sound - it's very low-pitched, very much a growl at idle. It
howls nicely on hard acceleration. The sound of this is FAR superior to
that of the Borla system and any of the triflow setups I've seen and heard.
I find them far too loud and far too "rappy". The Stebro system is much
more appealing from that point of view.

The system is convincing - you look at it, heft it, etc. and you know it's
high quality, and that it's going to last. They use a heavy gauge of SS
sheet stock and very solid SS pipe. I think the system weighs at least the
same as the stock one, possibly more. But that's the way I like it! You
know it can take a little abuse without giving up on you. The lifetime
warranty Stebro offers is quite convincing.

I have been *very* happy with my dealings with Stebro and recommend them
highly. (standard disclaimers apply - I'm not affiliated with them, don't
get any benefit from recommending them, YMMV, etc. etc...)

Stebro is the company that makes most of the SS aftermarket exhaust systems
for Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, etc. and have done so for
the last 25 years or so. They're located in Ottawa, Ontario.

You can check out their website at:

http://www.magi.com/~andypet/

or email Dan Petshenig at "stebro@domain.elided"

or give them a toll-free call at 1-888-8STEBRO

Good luck!

Aaron
Aaron Bohnen                     email: bohnen@domain.elided
- -Ph.D. Student, Civil Engineering Department, U.B.C.
- -Technicraft Engineering Services