<E36 .RE:Ticking Engines

Rob wrote, regarding ticking engines at idle:

Hasn't BMW NA realized yet that this is a problem area onM/S50 and M/S52
engines?  Are there any other engines affected by thiscondition.  My M52
engine just started tapping again at idle, right after Ichanged to my
winter weight (10W30) Mobil 1 oil.  I've experienced oilstarvation
symptoms
at the track once, but now it's happening in normal drivingcondition.

Nope, not just a 6 cylinder issue.  My M42 engine does it at idle,
mostly in the summer hot weather, after the motor is warmed fully.
15w-50 Mobil 1 stops the ticking completely.  I plan to switch to
10w-30 my next oil change as well, and dont expect any ticking
December through early March as the temps are fairly low in the DC
area during that time.
  I think iots one of those live with it items...sigh.

Ron Browne
1992 318is
Bowie, MD

PS..on a seperate note, finally think I solved my Blaupunkt CD changer
problem. The sticking discs was allegedly due to faulty alignment and
a warped magazine, but the no-power at all issue now seems to be dues
to me pinching the cable between the changer/head unit.