Re: <tech> DOHC vs. SOHC

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Christopher Pawlowicz wrote:

> don't you *have* to have 2 cams to work a multi valve engine ?

> is there such a thing as a sohc multivalve engine ?

 I had a tiny Dodge Colt with a Mitsubishi SOHC 3-valve/cyl lean burn
1.4l engine.  Woo, what a rocket.  To get all that power to the
ground, it had a 2 range tranny, yep, 2 levers on the floor.  The
little hi/lo range lever was labeled "economy" and (wishfully
thinking) "power".  8 speeds forward and 2 speeds reverse.  I used to
find excuses to back up a long ways just so I could shift gears going
backwards.
 But I digress.  Yes, you can operate multivalves from 1 cam, but as
someone pointed out, it does get crowded.  I would imagine that one
could even operate 2 valves with one rocker arm if the rocker arm had
a sort of Y shape.  But then you've got a heavier rocker arm as well
as other problems I haven't even thought up yet.

- --
  John Bolhuis  | Since announcing concubine auditions in April,
 bolhuijo       | I have received not a single reply. Foolish females!
  @domain.elided | Do you not realize that I am one of the richest and