RE: B&B Triflow

>I have a 98 M3 and am thinking about a tri-flow exhaust.
>Is this a good system?

Yes it is...at least the newer ones with the buttressed welds are.

>Are there any better ones?

Supersprint. Slightly freer flowing than a B&B.

>Do you get the same HP increase from any exhaust system,
>some claim 5-6 hp and some claim 20HP.

Bogus all.  The gain is in your mind. Loud = Power.

>I do not want a lot of noise or vibrations in the car?

Better not do it, then!  Buy a pipe for the sound. Not power. And the B&B
is the loudest.

Unless you are willing to install a set of Euro headers ( $ 2,000), gut the
cat (OH MAI GAWD - THAT'S ILLEGAL !! Eeeek!) together with a cat-back
exhaust ( $ 750), plus a new chip to manage it all ( $ 350), then you'll no
see a measurable hp increase.  Even then, if you do ALL the above mods
you're buying torque in the mid-range, not horsepower.

Best performance increase in a Triflo is the fact it weighs about 40 lb.
less than the factory pipe!  Stock pipe is very heavy. Now THAT is a
performance upgrade in and of itself. Change the pipe, leave the spare in
the garage with the jack and you've lightened the car about 100 lb.  Weight
is the enemy of horsepower (the performance theory at Lotus, btw).

Duane Collie
SVR / UUC / Bubba # 00002

P.S.  You can buy a Kibortion ERAM for far less, it's much quieter and you
still won't give you any more power. But unlike a B&B it can double as a
portable on-board sex aid.