Re: E30 Questions/Concerns

Hi..

At 09:22 PM 11/12/98 -0700, Vetere wrote:
>I recently purchased an '86 325es.  I have noticed some problems that I
>would like to have fixed.
>
>1.  The light on the OBC is out.  I have read the FAQ's but wonder how
>difficult it is to replace.  I don't know if I want to disassemble the
>center console.  There is also a light out behind the temperature knob for
>the climate control.  Could this be easily replaced at the same time?

It's not difficult to replace the light on the obc, it was just a PITA to
get the bottom screws back in. I bought the light assembly from a BMW
dealer, for a whopping $35.10. Instead, you could put in a pair of $1 light
bulbs. I don't know what the max voltage is. Next time it burns out on me,
I'm going to measure the maximum voltage and put in high output LED's with
resistors. That'll be the last time I'll have to change it ever. When/if I
do, I'll post it on the list and such.

>2.  The Brake Lining Light is on, but the pads are new.  How would this be
>fixed?

Maybe the brake sensor on left front wheel or right rear wheel wasn't
replaced. This was the case on my car. I put in a sensor, but it still
comes on intermittently. I got to have a bad contact somewhere. I'll check
this sometime.

>3.  The door locks were replaced several years ago (I have all of the
>records), but the glove box, trunk, and ignition still use the old key.
>Could it be easily be made so that all locks use the same master key?

Don't know, ask a dealer?

>4.  The trunk leaks on one side only.  Can this be fixed easily?

I had to tighten the trunk lid on my car (it was making sounds). There's a
nut on the latch to do this. You may also need a new gasket.

>Thanks for any help.

Michiel