E28 Brake Pad Ramblings +

Digesters,

Just my input into some recent brake pad postings.

I installed some Ferodo "sport" pads this past summer.  They were purchased
from Korman (don't get me started) and were advertised as a reasonable
street/autocross compromise.  I do not have the part number with me but can
look it up if anyone is interested.

Baseline:

I replaced my Metal Masters with these so that will be my comparison point.

I have E28 M5 front calipers and rotors, air cutouts in the valence, and
factory airflow directors to the calipers, but that shouldn't matter much
for street driving.

Impressions:

The Ferodos DO grab better than the MMs, especially when cold.  This is
important to me, as most street stopping takes place under this type of
condition (cold pads).  In my opinion, MMs are WAY overrated.  The only
thing they have going for them is low levels of dust/squeal (see below) -
convenient, but I like brakes that actually stop, so not that high on my
list.

Ferodos dust more (weekly cleaning probably needed).  Easily done, though,
as this is not "nasty" brake dust.

The Ferodos do squeal a little, not to an objectionable level.  Again, the
MMs do not, from my experience.

I did not have a chance to autocross with them, so no comment there.  I
would expect favorable results from the Ferodos, however.  Probably not the
best for all out track use, but neither are MMs.

Verdict:

Pretty apparent - the Ferodos.

I think the Ferodos are good, not great, and will probably try something
else once I burn these up.

Separate point - is it just me or do others feel like they need:

1.	more physics/thermo classes
2.	hip waders

lately on the Digest?

Gotta love it!