<e30> found the problem!

I took my car in today to get the transmission fluid checked and the
people there said it was too low for them to check the level.  So this is
my problem!  There seems to be a pretty heavy leak coming from some seal,
tho I don't remeber which he said. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem so
easily solved. Apparently I have the transmission that requires a special
fluid.  Is this right?  I have Redline MTF in there right now (if there's
actually any left), but how could I put that in if it requires a special
fluid from the dealer?  And my last question for now is, how much damage
have I done to my transmission running without enough fluid?  I put maybe
70 miles on it after shifting became difficult/impossible, 60 of which
were in 5th gear and no shifting between. Am I looking at a new
transmission here, or can I just fix the seal and get some more miles out
of it?  If I do replace the transmission, is there any kind of upgrade I
should consider?  I think that's it.  Thanks all!

Alix
'86 325e

And special thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier posts--you guys
are great!