E30 running too cool??

Hi to all -

I have noticed that during cool weather (~35-40 deg. F), my 325is temp gauge
is staying in the blue zone. After having looked through Dale Beuning's site
for info, I have a couple of questions regarding this:

 - Is this likely to be a thermostat problem or a gauge problem? (I'm
thinking thermostat, since the gauge reads hotter in hotter weather.) Or may
be something else? Or nothing at all?

 - Could this be causing any engine problems? The car seems to run fine, but
I'm wondering if it's not reaching a proper operating temp.

 - What temp rating should I go for if I change the thermostat? Here in
Sacto, we rarely hit freezing or below, spending all winter blanketed in a
40 degree fog and all summer in the 90-100 range.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike Filigenzi (fogged out in Sacramento)
'88 325is