How to Fix Curbe Rash (painted wheel)

 Ok, when I purchased my '93 325isa, both passenger side wheels
had seen a curb upclose. The result was scrapes on the lip, 3-6 inches
long. At first I searched high and low for a reasonably priced
replacement, no luck. Then I got a woody and decided it's M/// 17"
for me $$$$! Fortunately I looked at the damage, and realized I can fix
this.
    If you cant find your battery in your E-36 please hit page down.
You Q-tip and concour (sp) guys should buy new wheels.

    First go to your local "big box" parts store. You will need a roll
of tootsie roll epoxy with an alloy filler. They also sell a small paint kit with
a primer and a clear coat which you will need as well as your choice
of 10 + colors of silver in 1/2 ounce bottles  to match your wheels.
    Take a Dremel (sp?) tool or small grinder and remove any deformed
flattened alloy. Its better to remove too much 'cause its hard to deal
with a hump later. Please folks we are only talking 1/16" increments.
    Now clean area with alcohol, pinch off a 1" section of epoxy, knead
thoroughly for 30 seconds to 1 minute, apply using your thumb and
fore finger in a sliding motion try to replicate the lip. Its better at this point
to add a little too much 'cause it hardens quickly and sands easily.
Sand using 100 grit paper careful not to damage surrounding
surfaces. More epoxy can be add as well as a glaze filler for near
perfect results. Also a soft foam sanding block works great. By
using just a corner of the block its very easy to control, and often is
available with a different grit on each side.
    Now its the usual prime, sand, paint, compound, clearcoat, buff,
wax the entire wheel. You will pass the 5 foot inspection and maybe
 the 5 inch inspection depending on time and talent.
    For us non concour, practical (cheap) kind of people this process
works great.
    Now I can fix most anything with practically nothing at all, so, for
those of you who are not smart enough to tape off your rubber or
take the wheel off the car, or cant seem to jack the car up---
THIS IS NOT FOR YOU

- --Martin
'93 325isa-no more smart ass comments from people about
                 hitting curbs
P.S. While I'm proud to contribute, it's much more fun to take
pot shots at the monthly Idiot.
Hey, that sounds like a great "List" award.
My vote for the FIRST  monthly Idiot goes to,
- --------Mark- the blow hard man!----------
Hell, he gets the entire quarter, hands down.