Re: ETA questions

>1. I've heard that the "e"  engines had slightly larger intake and exhaust
manifolds
>to help  get better fuel economy, Is this true?

This is NOT true.  The ETA engine had smaller intake and exhaust manifolds
than the "i" engine.  In fact, I have heard that the smaller ETA intake aids
in low end torque.

>2. Isn't the only difference between an "e" and an "i" is the head and the
computer?

This is certainly NOT true.  325i's are 2.5 liter, have  larger intake and
exhaust systems (dual piped also), higher redline, 3.73/4.10 diff ratio, oil
cooler system, on-board diagnostics, 3.0 bar pressure regulator, different
pistons-rods....etc etc etc.

>3. What is the "super eta", and is it super on gas mileage or on
acceleration?

The Super ETA was produced in 88 which was the last year of the ETA's.  It
came with the same head as the 325i but used an ETA cam w/ single valve
springs.  It's intake system is actually smaller than a standard ETA engine
and the ports of the manifold were enlarged to match port to the "i" head.
The exhaust system was a dual pipe system using the same manifolds and cat as
the "i" engine but the rear muffler pipes seemed to be smaller than the "i"
cars.

It seems as if BMW wanted to make the ETA engine even more efficient by the
design of this "Super" ETA engine.  Any 88 325/528e owners care to post how
good the mileage and acceleration is?

>4. I have a 528e and was thinking of putting in a chip to help with the
throttle
>response, is it worth it? What will it do to my fuel economy, right now I get
about
>25-28mpg city and 30-32mpg road?

The ETA engine responds very well to the addition of a chip.  I really wakes
up the ETA engine and turns it into more of a performer than a cruiser.  Fuel
consumption depends on your driving style and how the eprom is programmed.  If
you drive conservatively there is not much difference in consumption.

Barry Robinson
LA Chapter